Wednesday 1 May 2013

CTS Placement paper-1

Hi Everyone,

Mine was a morning 7:45 batch. Around 150 were there in my batch. There were more batches on the same day so i'm not sure about the total number of students who all attended that day. The paper was conducted by MERITRACK and they said they would announce the result on this Tuesday that is on 21st September on CTS website.

When i started giving test i was really amazed, the pattern had completely changed. There were only 50 questions in all and two sections Verbal and Analytical. The paper was damn easy. This was my 12th interview so was bit nervous asusual. I can give you an idea on how the paper was but i'm sorry I can’t remember any questions.

1.) Verbal Section

There were questions like

A) Two huge passages were given and there were 5 questions for each passage. I would recommend you to attempt these passages at the end.

B) Around 5-6 questions on finding which part of the sentence had an error.EX-

He thought (a)/he might (b)/not be able (c)/to do a job (d)

We had to find which part of the sentence had errors.

C) Around 5-6 questions on arranging sentences in the order in which they might have occurred.EX-

a) The third calls for high aces to channel updrafts.

b) Some paleontologists are of the opinion that the pterosaurs jumped from s dropped from trees or perhaps rose into the light winds from the crests of waves in order to become airborne.

c) The second hypothesis seems unlikely because large pterosaurs could not have landed in trees without damaging their wings.

d) Each theory has its associated difficulties.

e) The first makes a wrong assumption that the pterosaurs hind feet resembled a bat's and could serve as hooks by which the animal could hang in preparation for flight.

OPTIONS

1) a,e,d,b,c

2)b,d,e,c,a

3)d,a,e,c,b

4)a,b,e,d,c

D) Around 5-6 questions on finding the wrong sentence from a set of given sentences.

2) Analytical Part

This part to my amazement didn't have anything from R.S Aggarwal quantitative aptitude. There we not even a single formal question from percentages or ratio proportions or ages anything u could ever imagine the whole paper was kind of non verbal reasoning. The questions were like

a) Around 4-5 questions were like finding the odd figure out of given figures. Very Very Simple.

b) Around 4-5 questions were like three figures were given and we had to find the fourth one based on some pattern.(Was a bit tough)

c) I had some login problem in my system before beginning the test, so i was sitting idle for 15 mins in the beginning and at that time, i was just gazing at the systems of students who were giving the test. Many of them had a question based on pie chart. A pie chart was given and 5-6 questions were based the pie chart.

On the other hand when i started giving test i had a question based on a table. I had to take some percentages based on the given data. I didn’t get any questions from pie charts.

d) Some 5-6 questions based on syllogism. Eg: Some dogs are cats. All cats are cows.

e) Around 5-6 question were based on logic like if it rains, then he will dance.(These questions were in the form of data sufficiency.

This is all i can remember. Make sure you prepare from R.S Aggarwal Verbal and Non Verbal reasoning very thoroughly. Be very calm and take the paper very carefully because it full of logical questions, you need to have a free mind while giving the test. I'm still waiting for the results that are to be announced on 21st September on www.congnizant.com and i'm really very very scared. Please do pray for me.

Most important All the best may God be with you all..

Hope this article helps.

Take care all.

Hi Friends, I am Subhasish Mondal student of FIEM from CSE department. I am going to share my CTS experienced with you. CTS visit our college on 17-Jan-11.

CTS recruitment going through in 3 steps

PPT(Pre Placement Talk)

Aptitude Test

HR-Technical Round.

Before appearing for Written test we have to fill up the below form format. Some Q,s are listed below.

1. Name.__________________

2. Gender__________________

3. Current address:__________________

city:__________________

pin code:__________________

tel.phno:__________________

mobile no.__________________

4. Permanent address.__________________

5. E-mail__________________

6. Nationality__________________

7. Academic details (10th %, 12th or diploma%)__________________

8. Each Semester percentage and year of passing.__________________

9. Have u cleared all your arrears (backlogs)?__________________

10. Do u have any standing arrears (presently do u have any backlogs)?__________________

11. Software orientation:__________________

12. Extra curricular, Hobbies and Interests.______________________________________________________

13. Strengths and weakness.__________________

14. Expectations from cognizant.______________________________________________________

15. Your short term plan and long term plan with cts.____________________________________

16. What are the qualities a software professional need to excel in his field?_________________

In case of Aptitude test you should prepare for this area. Aptitude consists two parts verbal & reasoning part. There 30 question from reasoning and 25 questions from verbal and there are 60 minutes to solve this(30 minutes each).

Statement conclusion

Odd man out

Figure puzzle

Puzzles

Syllogism

Data sufficiency

Data interpretation

R.S Aggarwal verbal reasoning books is enough for it.after 1hrs from aptitude our tpo declare the name of students who cleared aptitude test.340 students out of 450 students cleared in aptitude test. I was one of them.

Next the interview first the interviewer greeting me with a warm handshake. then he asked this questions.

Why CSE?

what are the subjects you read last semester?

what is the favorite subjects?

What is referential integrity?

what is foreign key? draw a table and show foreign key.

What is deletion anomaly?

what is lock? how many lock you ever heard?

where you use read lock and shared lock?

what is deadlock?

what is deadlock presentation?

tell me some procedure to detect deadlock.

what is distributed deadlock?

what are functions of local distributed and global distributed manager?

how you solve deadlock in distributed system?

then he asked do you know C? i answered yes then he asked how well like dbms or more than that? i answered like C. then he asked four more questions

from C.

What is union?

What are the differences between structure and union?

What is pointer?

Tell me some practical application of pointer.

what is link list?

I answered all of questions more or less correctly and full confidently. after asked so many questions he satisfied (i think). then he asked do you have any questions? please asked any questions related to their company. please don't asked anything regarding your interview please. then he told me nice to meet you.If you are CSE/IT students then you should technically sound(c,c++,ds,dbms,java at least).you also prepare for this type of questions like

why CTS?

why should I recruit you?

Tell me about yourself. etc

one thing you should remember that you don't tell that you are preparing for CAT,MAT,GRE or any other exams.In interview room you keep yourself be cool, confident, fluent in English, smile on your face.Don't act like a over smart.CTS declared the name of student who got the job on 19th Jan '11. 244 students got the jobs and i was one of them.

I wish all the best.

Cognizant Campus Recruitment Process on 25.02.2011

Eligibility Criteria: 60% throughout (X, XII, UG/PG)

No year Gap

Only 2011 Pass out

Venue: FIEM, Sonarpur (it was not an on Campus Process)

Reporting Time: 8:00 am

My experience

I was 15 mins late, but it did not create any issue

An auditorium sought of place was given to us so that it can accommodate at least 400 students, 452 were eligible. Cognizant came at around 9am, and when I saw the entire team I was simply stunned, more than 35 people came, out of which 33 were interviewer (I came to know about them before the interview). The T.P.O of the FIEM introduced Mr. N Ghosal, the HR Manager of Cognizant.

Mr. N Ghosal, introduced himself and started off with the ppt session, it was damn good and inspiring

After 30-45 mins of ppt session we were asked to get ready for the Aptitude test, a consultancy named Meritrake came in with a team of more than 20 people and divided the entire group of students into several rooms, they had taken every possible measure so that no unfair means occur.

A form (data sheet) was given to fill-up, followed by two question papers (2-sections)

Total 55 questions were there, 60 mins time, 2 sections, 1-logical and quantitative 2-Based on English, no Negative marking but sectional cut-offs were there.

Aptitude result was declared by 1.30 pm, and panels were allotted to the selected candidates, there were 33 panels, and 5-6 students were allotted to each

I was in panel 1.

The interview session began, 1:1 interview, Technical and HR was combined, and the single man that was sitting on the other side was more than enough to make us realize that he was from CTS and the questions won’t be as smooth as we were thinking

I was waiting for my turn to come; seriously, I was quite tensed and nervous though my face did not reflect that. At that moment of time I was completely blank, I could not even remember the syntax for inheritance in C++, anyways I had to wait till 5.30pm, as the interviewer was taking a lot of time with a single candidate, so you can imagine how sweet the interview session could be, sitting with the interviewer for than 30mins, minimum, gradually I started to make up my mind that I have to face the person on the other side of the desk, and if I get tensed then everything would be in a mess, actually I was not tensed, neither was i nervous, it was a different feeling, which you can only feel when your waiting outside that ROOM.

When my name was called, it was near about 5.40pm

Me : Sir, may I come in

X: yah, sure (he had a smiling face)

Me: Good Afternoon sir (I was standing with my bag on one shoulder, and a file in my hand)

X: yah, have your seat, be comfortable

(I took my seat, kept my bag on the floor, and the file on my lap)

X: (with a smile on his face) so you are Shyam, from JISCE?

Me: yes sir

X: (he called out two names, they were also from my college and asked me) who is the topper?

Me: sir all are unique in their own way, but if you talk about academics I have topped the last 5 semesters

X: so you are the topper? (smiled again)

Me: yes sir till the 5th semester

X: show me your certificates, class X and XII (I gave him the original), make sure that you put back all the certificates safely

(He started calculating my percentages, one by one) and said all are perfect

X: you have passed out class XII from CBSE? I am also from CBSE

Me: which school sir?

X: Kendriya Vidyalay, Alipore, (smiled) I have passed out class 10 in 2000, so where do you stay?

Me: Naihati

X: hmm nice place, so what are your hobbies Shyam?

Me: (told) (and he continued writing everything in his evaluation sheet)

X: (going through the data sheet that I have filled up in the morning) you like data structure

Me: yes sir, we had DS in our 3rd sem

X: ok (he gave a blank A4 sheet and wrote an array of 6 elements) sort the array

Me: which technique sir?

X: anything of your choice

Me: (after sorting the array by Bubble sorting technique) sir done

X: ok let me see (going through my code) no this will not work!! (returned the paper back to me)

Me: (surprisingly) why sir? (I went through my code,….but couldn’t find any mistakes) (Gave it back to him) sir it will work

X: (again going through my code) no it won’t, ok let us do a dry run

Me: (eagerly waiting for him to point out my mistake) yes sir

X: oh! My mistake, I didn’t notice the other loop (he overlooked my outer loop) it will work (gave a positive smile)

X: Can you tell me its time complexity?

Me: (told, a complete wrong guess, I was not sure) (he did not say anything)

X: what projects have you done?

Me: (told)

X: do you know Linked lists?

Me: yes sir

X: ok, have you heard of circular, doubly, circular-doubly linked lists?

Me: yah sir, sure

X: how can I search an element from the linked list? (Passed that paper to me again)

Me: shall I write the code?

X: your choice, I just need to understand

Me: (I wrote the code, defined a structure for linear linked list, and defined a function for searching the element) ( I was taking a bit time and I looked up once to see what was he doing)

X: take your time (gave a pleasant smile)

(I continued with my ‘searching’ function)

(After completing, I looked up again, found him busy writing something, so I started checking my code, if there are some errors)

Me: sir I have done it

X: oh , let me have a look (going through my code) yah good

X: what changes would you make if I ask you to do the same for doubly linked list?

Me: (made the changes)

X: (with a impressive smile) your code is ok but it could have been much simpler. What is recursion?

Me: (told)

X: write down a recursive function to print the fibonacci series in Java

Me: (feeling a bit tensed, started off)

(Finished writing the code, I didn’t print the a and b as 0 in the beginning, I took a=-1 and b=1, and gave him the sheet back) sir done.

X: (checked out my code) why did you take a= -1 and b=1?

Me: (explained him)

X: (he looked impressed) (he took the paper back, wrote a small code snippet) what will be output of the following? (The code was written in C++, a bit tricky)

Me: (I started solving it, wrote few steps) (suddenly he took back the paper and said)

X: what is string?

Me: (answered him)

X: how can you copy one string in another?

Me: (I told him about the strcpy function)

X: without strcpy?

Me: bla bla…. (could not answer properly)

X: ok can you relocate outside Kolkata?

Me: (butterflies in my stomach) YES ! sir

X: ok last question I’ll ask you, if you can answer you are through

(I was excited)

X: ( wrote 3 statements: x=1+2+3; y=”1”+2+3; z=2+4+”6”;) if I write System.out.println(x) and in the same way SOP for y and z what will be the output?

Me: x=6; y=123 (as ‘+’ will act as a concatenation operator), and z= (he took back the paper)

X: you are through, you can go

Me: Thank you sir

(I saw him writing the marks, he gave me 9/10) ( before getting in I heard, that, 6 is the cut-off, so any one getting 6 will get the job)

Came out of the room, I was quite satisfied and eagerly waiting for the result

They announced the result around 7.30pm,

And they gave me the offer letter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment